Friday, January 24, 2014

Banana Bread.

Can't-mess-up banana bread. We use butter instead of shortening, and olive oil instead of butter. Works great no matter which one I use.

This recipe evolved from one I got from my Grandma...

I used to grate carrots into this bread, when Thor was little and was very finicky about his food. I have added Quaker oats to the recipe, and wheat germ, and I don't even measure the banana any more, just use 2 of them. It takes a while to bake this one, because it's a dense bread. 

I never have buttermilk, and never remember to buy it, so I just add a tiny bit of vinegar to 2% milk. It works for me.

Banana Bread.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3 tbsp buttermilk
1 tsp lemon juice
1 cup bananas (or a couple of them. I never measure the bananas)
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 Quaker oats
1/4 cup wheat germ, or not. up to you.
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts. again, up to you. my kids are not fans of this idea, so I don't.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a loaf pan, or muffin tin. Mix butter, sugar, eggs, buttermilk, lemon juice and bananas (pastry cutter works great for this).Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add nuts. Or not. Bake for 45 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Muffins will take a lot less time, the loaf pan will take at least 45 minutes. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

You like me! You really really like me!

Or maybe you just find me horribly annoying and are about to let me know. Go ahead, I can deal.

So, whatever, you know, leave a message. Thanks!!!